12.08.2013

Social Anxiety Disorder - My Journey

Social Anxiety Disorder
I have decided to talk about my struggle with Social Anxiety Disorder. I don't usually public talk about such things but am now in a better place and can be completely open and honest.

I went through a period where I was almost 350 lbs overweight, sick (heart issues), edema, high blood pressure and all in all not feeling well. During this time I was working and could function very well at work but I would go home and hibernate in my apartment not socializing with anyone except online.

I was depressed. I was alone and when I would go out I would feel people were laughing at me and my weight, my clothes and everything else about me. Then......I had a severe angina attack. I felt like my life was over and the Dr. told me IF I didn't lose weight I would die.

I decided to take back my life. I went on a healthy food regimen which was mostly raw foods. I started walking, a block a day to start and then two and so on. When I first started I couldnt walk up a short grade without huffing and puffing.

Now finally down over 100 pounds I have regained my health and all of my levels are back to normal.

But still I deal with anxiety. It has changed. I am uncomfortable in crowds where I don't know people. I have stayed away from functions and Church for that very reason. I have had online fellowship because it is safe. People would invite me over and I would make excuses or reasons why I couldnt go.

I decided to take that back and have slowly started to venture outside my comfort zone. Today I went back to Church for the first time in years. Of course I didnt go to a small Church it had to be a big one.

The first thing on the agenda was a lady (and forgive me I didnt hear the name) who was fairly new to the Church (a year I believe) who talked about her struggle with SAD. I think God works in mysterious ways. I gave my fiance's hand a squeeze and smiled a bit.

I know now that I was in the right place at the right time to know I am not alone and that God knows what I am going through.

I will probably talk about this some more in upcoming articles but will leave it there for now.

Just because someone is hibernating at home DOES NOT mean they have problems necessarily. They may just have SAD and should be surrounded with love - ON THEIR TERMS!

Check out one teens journey with Social Anxiety Disorder:

3 comments:

  1. Jim,

    Thank you for this post.
    I'm sure your journey is an encouragement to many. It is to me.

    Bryan <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh Bryan...........I appreciate your friendship and encouragement...........to the Batmobile!!!

    ReplyDelete